Saturday, September 7, 2013

Favorite Films: Daisies

Hello :)
Today I'm going to be reviewing the 1966 Czech film Daisies aka Sedmikráski.
The Criterion Collection describes Daisies as being one of the great works of feminist cinema. That, along with the fact that it's an experimental film with seemingly interesting film stills was enough to make me really want to watch the film. Since this is a "review" I'll give a brief summary of the plot, however if you've never seen the film before I found it much more exciting and refreshing to just let the film take you along and probably surprise you (in a good way). It's a pretty short film too so you'll want to take in everything, at the end I wished it was longer.
 
 
Daisies is about the lives/adventures of two girls, Marie 1 and Marie 2, who I believe mention that they are sisters. The reckless pair don't lead regular lives, they've decided that the world has turned "bad"/is essentially meaningless and go around treating everything as such. They don't take anything seriously and they do absolutely whatever they want, their way. The film is basically about independence from the conventions of normal everyday life; there are also other meanings and symbolism throughout. Why is it an experimental film you might ask? well, the film uses plenty of color and picture effects such as some parts being in black and white, some in color, others in just one color, and employing various still frames. Daisies felt sort of like an interesting dream, in fact when I woke up the morning after I watched it I searched it online to make sure It actually existed and I didn't just dream it up. After learning a little more about the film after I watched it, I found out that this film was actually banned by the Czech government when it first came out which is pretty interesting. Another notable thing about the film is that the main characters have pretty great style (simple but nice) and just the film overall is stylish, apart from being a great film I could see how it could be considered style inspiration.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
  There's not much more I could tell you about the film except to watch it so you can experience it as well.
My rating: 5/5 
Daisies was so entertaining and really different than most things I've seen which is part of the reason why I gave it such a high rating, I felt like it was a perfect film. I'm sure it's not for everyone though, just like any other film. By the way, the movie with subtitles is available to watch on youtube in case anyone wants to see it.
 
 
If you liked Daisies you might also like:
Celine and Julie go Boating
Valerie and Her Week of Wonders
 
I hope you enjoyed this film review.
Have a great weekend!
 
P.S. I hope you like the switch to a right sidebar,
 I might still adjust the width because it chopped part of my header off.

18 comments:

  1. I've never seen it but it looks amazing! I'll have to go check it out. I love it already :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was planning on watching this movie this weekend! Thanks for the review :]

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's so cool, I hope you like it!

      Delete
  3. I've never know about this movie till now. Thank you writing the review. Seems also the style and visual are interesting and inspiring!

    Nataya,
    Chachamisu

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm planning on watching this, seems very interesting to me! You have a very nice blog! I'd love if you checked out my blog, and if you like it, we can follow each other?

    www.dreampuddleoflove.blogspot.com x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds interesting! I love the story just by reading it here. I hope I can find a copy here in the Philippines! Thanks for the review a must see movie! :)


    would you like to follow each other on GFC and bloglovin, and facebook too maybe? just let me know. :)

    xx
    ellie
    http://chasingculprit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't read past the two girls being called marie 1 and 2 in the synopsis because I agree that sometimes it's better to have no idea what a film is about. plus the names pretty much sold me on it. From the pictures though it looks like a lovely film, i will have watch it. I'm really feeling 60s style atm.

    nadia

    www.thegirlwholookslikeacake.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi there, nice blog <3
    would you like to follow each other? let me now and i follow you back :*

    ReplyDelete
  8. :)

    just followed you back!

    thanks and keep in touch!
    ellie

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like such a cool film!! I'll have to check it out. :)

    It's funny that it was so dream-like that when you woke up you had to make sure it was real. :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. My first ever screenwriting tutor at film school was Czech and he showed us parts of this to prove that Czechs weren't all grumpy lol I would love to see it all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love to see an old film and see the vintage's fashion.

    http://www.attraction2fashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. The film stills are so lovely! I love the one in the bath. It sounds really interesting, i love films that are a little offbeat, so it's on my to-watch list now for sure. The fact that you had to google whether it was real or not is a good sign, it sounds dreamy :) xx

    www.jessthetics.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love old movies :)
    would you like to follow eachother?

    dontcoralwithme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. i haven't seen this beore but i'm dying to try it out :)

    CharlotteHavs

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! Lovely blog and great post! I would like to invite you to know my blog, do you like? ;) www.mvesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the stills from this film! It looks totally great, I'm definitely going to watch it. Thanks so much for sharing the link! X

    ReplyDelete
  17. lovely stills, the movie looks so interesting, can't wait to watch it! thank you for sharing!♡
    xoxo,
    www.whimsicalityindisguise.com
    (Join my blog International Giveaway ♡! 21 items- lots of Japanese makeup and beauty products including cosmetics from Diamond Beauty, Candydoll, Dollywink, etc!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. Comments are much appreciated :).